Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tiger Lilly Training, Oh so fun!

Well today I got off work early and had the great Idea that I should start to teach my cute little buckskin Tiger Lilly to drive a carriage.  I thought she had the right temperament for it but had never given it a try.  Tiger Lilly is 5 years old this spring and is a very nice mount under saddle.  I recently sold my driving horse to a woman in California so I have been anxious to train another horse to drive.  I have a training cart that is heavy and virtually indestructible.  It is the perfect cart for training.    Jeff (my son) and I put her in the harness and trained her for about an hour.  I was soooooooo impressed.  She was calm, put up with all the stuff all over her body and really seemed to enjoy pulling.    It turned out awesome. She was doing her foxtrot and cruising down the road.   With a few more training sessions I think she will have figured out pretty well what needs to be done.  I think she has the makings to be a great driving horse.  One of Tiger Lilly's great qualities is her love of people.  She trusts people and likes to be around them.  Here are a few of our training pictures below:

Horse Advice:  Try new things with your horses.  Driving, Swimming,  Let them run along with you free in the mountains.  Challenge them to hop up on a rock.  Challenge them to jump off the bank into a river.  Shoot your gun around them.  Herd some cows.  Ride bareback.

Life Advice:  Find a cool spot and take an old fashioned 2 hour nap.  Very Sweet!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment