Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Duck Lake Pack Trip

Woke up early this morning and headed into the Uinta mountains into Duck Lake.  The mission was to take Meat, Potatoes, Brownies and oranges to my Brother Mark's scout troop to give them a big tasty meal after several days of freeze dried food.  Mission accomplished.  I of course had a blast by myself on my favorite horse Cisco and Tiger Lilly following behind as the trusty pack horse.  It was beautiful beyond words.  Did about 12 miles.  Cisco and Tiger Lilly are both 5 year old mares and they both did fantastic.  Cisco is also pregnant.  The flowers were spectacular, the air was crisp and fresh from a rain over night, the trail was wet and the wildlife was wonderful.  I will never stop loving the mountain lakes of the high country in Utah.  Riding horses in the high country is definitely a celestial activity, especially with Cisco.  Had a nice nap in my Hammock for an hour on the shores of Duck lake.  Love a nap in the mountains.

Horse Advice:  It is good to put a pack on your horse and lead them in the high country.  It teaches them patience and also to walk in the middle of the trail so the pack doesn't get hung up on the trees.

Life Advice:  It is good to be by yourself for several hours in the mountains.  It allows time for higher thoughts and prayers of gratitude for your many blessings.
                                                                 grazing at Duck Lake



                                                               Long Lake


                                                              flowers at Long Lake





                                                                  nap time

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and makes me jealous of the peace that you get on your rides. Love your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have memories from my youth of back packing into Kidney Lake, we would pass by Brown Duck lake on the way in. I took my daughters in many years ago. Only had two horses and I took 3 daughters, So none of us rode and we all hiked and packed the horses with our gear. My youngest daughter was only 7 at the time and she skipped and hopped along that trail and had a great weekend with her dad.

    The Forest Service breached the dam on Kidney lake 10 years ago and I've never been back to see what is left.

    Glad you had a great trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jon. It was a very nice day indeed. We need to go riding soon. Got any plans Sat. morning early?

      Delete