Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Better Way to Feed Horses

Is your horse over weight?  Does your horses get very little exercise each day?  Do you feed your horses once, twice or three times a day?  Is there a better way?   Has your horse ever had colic or Ulcers?  Do your horses suffer from Boredom or aggression?

Wild horses for thousands of years cover between 10 and 20 miles per day and will graze for 16 hours per day.  There digestive system is designed to process food continuously.    Horses are designed to nibble or graze constantly, not hork down large quantities of hay a couple times a day like a predator.

There is a better way.  This is a feeder (below) I designed and had made to get the following benefits for my horses and myself :

1-  Allow the horses to eat 24/7 to replicate what wild horses do as best I can.
2-  Limit the amount they can eat by creating a slow feeder for them so they can only get a few stems of grass hay at a time.  You will notice there is a large net bag around the hay which slows hay consumption way down.  www.cinchchix.com is the website I bought the bag.
3-  Use large bales  1,000 pounds to 2,000 pounds so I only have to feed about once every two weeks which saves me time and also saves me money on hay purchases.
4-  Healthy horses.  Reduce founder, gut problems, ulcers and such.  Also better and stronger hoofs.
5-  Eliminate waste of hay.  Hay is expensive
6-  Reduce boredom of horses having nothing to do all day.
7-  Reduce fighting horses over food because it is always available.  No need to fight.
8-  The horses genuinely enjoy eating side by side.
9-  Keeps the hay dry so it doesn't go bad and wasted.
10-  Lastly and most important it allows me more time to ride which is why you have the horses in the first place.

Horse Advice:  Consider strategies for a slow feeder
Life Advice:  Consider a strategy for a slow feeder strategy for your self.  (This advice is really for me)




No comments:

Post a Comment