Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Those Pesky Flies

With summer comes Flies.  House Flies, big black Horse flies, deer flies.  It is painful to watch your horses suffer with constant irritation from House flies and to witness blood being drawn by those biting horse and deer flies.  I have had  significant success controlling these pests through a comprehensive plan.  Let me share with you what I have done to make my horses lives more pleasant in the summer months.

Horse advice:

1-  I clean up the manure every day and dump it in a manure pile.
2-  I purchase Fly Predators and have them delivered to me in the mail about 5-6 times each summer.  (Fly predators are the enemy to the house fly).  I have had success virtually eliminating house flies on my farm.  The directions for using Fly Predators are on the package.
3-  I have Fly Paper in the Barn in case there are some to catch.
4-  I have purchased a Trap that catches Deer Flies and have some success using this trap.
5-  I spray my horses in the morning with a Homemade Fly spray formula which is made with this recipe.   1 Cup of Water, 1 Cup of White Vinegar, 1/3 cup of Dawn Dish Soap, 1/4 cup of Avon Skin so soft. (Optional).  Then simply Spray on the horses in the morning.

Part of being a good steward of your horses is to make them more comfortable.  This attack has worked very well for me.

Life Advice for the day:  Morning time is a sacred time and is an ideal time to get chores done and to consider your goals and to remember your blessings.  It is the best time of day to pray.


                                             9 little wild baby ducks hatched on the farm
                                              Look what I found in the pasture!

No comments:

Post a Comment