Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Miracle of the Horse

I am always amazed at this wonderful Animal we call a Horse.  A well trained horse allows you to strap a piece of leather to their back, put a bridle around their head, jump on their back and have expectations that they haul you up the mountain and follow your every command.  Every time I ride I am grateful for the friendship and relationship I have with my horses.  They are unselfish giving animals whom I have come to admire as one of God's most magnificent creations.

One of his very best creations was "Harley".  I am going to brag now.  Harley is one of the most magnificent Fox Trotters in the breed and certainly one of the finest horses on the planet.  Harley has the smoothest foxtrot I have personally seen in the breed.  (I know this will create some controversy with my foxtrotter friends)  She is like riding a bike with 4 wheel drive.  She is big, tough, has tremendous endurance and is always willing to give you more when you ask.  I have to be careful to not ask for more when she is exhausted because she will give till she drops.  I admire this magnificent animal and am grateful to have her in my life.  I had a wonderful ride this afternoon in the heat on the East bench of Bountiful riding in the trees.  Here is a link to see how wonderfully Harley Moves.  Click below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwmmpBzyg5Q&list=TLDRnFgUPLAdk

Horse Advice:  Be sensitive to Horses comfort in the Heat.  Horses deal with cold better then the heat.

1-  Provide Shade such as a barn or trees for them to get out of the sun where they live.
2-  After a ride always wash of the sweat and spray them down to cool them off.  I am always sad when I see my horse friends after a ride, pull their saddle off and put their horse away without brushing or a cool down bath if possible.  I always think that poor horse is owned by an abusive owner.
3-  When riding on a hot day, dial it back a bit and be very sensitive to heat exhaustion.  Take more breaks and be sensitive their breathing.  If you are hot, they are hot too.
4-  When you run into water on the trail give your horse an opportunity to drink.

Life Advice:  When you take ownership of an animal whether it be a horse, cat, dog or any other animal, be accountable for their well being.  Learn how to take care of them properly.  Educate yourself as best you can.    I personally think their is a special place in hell for people who abuse or neglect helpless animals.  Especially the ones you own as pets.






4 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog!! Would love a little bio about each one, and something about your cat too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! Harley does have a beautiful foxtrot. Good info about cooling horses after a ride. When we were riding at the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago, we watched the wranglers dump a large can of cool water on their backs after unsaddling each of them at the end of the day. What a good idea...and portable, too. We have started doing that on our horses now.

    ReplyDelete