Saturday, July 6, 2013

Introduction to: "Foxtrot the Rockies"

                                                This picture if of my 1st Fox Trotter JAG


My Name is Brad Hansen and I raise and own Missouri Fox Trotters, five of them to be exact (This number is always subject to change as I am addicted to horses).   The breed is known for their wonderful gait called the FoxTrot.  Many in the breed can do other smooth gaits beside the Foxtrot like the running walk and rack as well as typical gaits like the hard trot, lope and gallop.  They are mountain savvy, sure footed, smart with kind and willing dispositions.  I am in love with the breed and believe riding gaited horses in the mountains is a Celestial activity.  My Farm is in Bountiful Utah right at the base of the Rocky Mountains.   I ride regularly and have learned a great deal about this wonderful breed over the last few years.

I have decided to start a blog with the purpose of doing the following:

1-  Memorialize my awesome horseback riding experiences so I can better remember them and give others a chance to participate vicariously in my experiences through this blog.

2-  Share insights I have about life, my beliefs and values in the hope that I can work to be a better man and perhaps help others along the path of life with some insights here and there.

3- Pass on ideas about raising horses to help people that raise them, treat them with skill, compassion and wisdom.  I do not claim to be an expert but believe that my experiences will perhaps help others.

To start let me introduce you to my horses at present.  Oldest to youngest:

Harley (Born Spring 2002):  Name came because she is BIG AND SMOOOOOTH.
                                                     Harley and my son Jeff at Antelope Island

Max (Born Spring 2007):   His name is Max because he does everything to the Max, maximum speed, maximum gait.  He is wonderful, friendly and a bit goofy.  Very loving horse.  He is in charge of my herd.

                                         Max and my son Jeff (North Fork Park, Liberty Utah)

Cisco (Born Spring 2008): Named after the Horse in "Dances with Wolves"  Cisco is pretty much perfect.  She is also pregnant.  Cisco and Harley are half sisters.
                                            Cisco and Myself St. George Utah
                               
Tiger Lilly (Born spring 2008):  Very loving horse that anyone can ride.  Nice smooth foxtrot.
                                          Tiger Lilly grazing in the pasture at my Farm

Lakota (Born Fall of 2011):  Lakota is the name of a Sioux Indian tribe.  This tribe viewed curly horses as sacred and used them to hunt Buffalo.  Lakota is a Curly Fox Trotter and is our newest horse.  We are just starting her training.
                                Lakota running as a yearling at Breeder (Becky Oldham's) place

Please check back once in awhile to hear about my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment