Saturday, August 24, 2013

Too Many Horses? How do you keep them exercised?

I have 5 horses and find it a challenge to keep them all in trail shape.  I ride more then most but have determined that when I go on the trail it is best if I always take 3 horses with me.  One in the saddle and two following along.  I have been doing this for some time and I find it makes the trail ride more fun and interesting and it is nice to give 3 horses a good work out.  The horses seem to enjoy being on the trail together and getting out to see new things.  I find it keeps their barefoot feet tougher.  I had  great rides this week with Cisco, Tiger Lilly and Lakota.  We did 4 rides 5-8 miles each 2 in North Fork (Liberty Utah) and 2 rides in Snow basin.    Cisco is wonderful as always.  She will even lead the ride on her own without anyone on her back.  She is really a gem.  Tiger Lilly is still a touch conservative and would rather have a horse in front of her on the trail unless I ask her lead.  Lakota is so young it is fun to see her encounter things on the trail for the 1st time.  Moose, Deer, Turkeys, Bikes, Hikers, bridges, streams.  She is learning fast.   Going to be a great horse.

Horse Advice:  Keep your horses out on the trail.   If you have horses that aren't being ridden, take them along and teach them to follow you without a lead rope.

Life Advice:  Date your spouse regularly.  It is a great deal of fun.
















No comments:

Post a Comment